Making A Pin Cushion Jar


As a craft blogger, I have a craft room where I work on my projects, so I'm always looking for ways to organize it and make it look nicer. Sometimes this means repurposing household items, such as mason jars, to store odds and ends. So, today I'm going to show you how to transform a plain mason jar into a pin cushion jar. This project takes about 30 minutes to complete, so you can make one while watching an episode of your favorite show.


Do you recall when I made the hair scrunchies? You may remember the fabric I used for that project. It's amazing what one big fat quarter can do. I also made a small fabric garland to hang on the wall out of a few strips of it.


XEM THÊM : 

Giới thiệu về game bài đổi thưởng Big club

Making a Pin Cushion Jar

You can probably make this pin cushion jar out of household items and make many more as gifts, especially if you're like me and have a cupboard just for mason jars.

My sewing pins were kept in the container on the right in the photo below. I'm pretty sure I bought it before moving here from Australia (and I've been here 15 years) because it has a small Safeway sticker on it, and Safeway is Vons over here (at least where I live). I also kept a separate pin cushion next to me while sewing. Everything is now in place.

Supplies:

  • Fabric
  • Thread and needle for embroidery
  • The Mason jar
  • Stuffing
  • Felt
  • Marker for fabric
  • Glue gun




Instructions:

The first step is to measure out the backing for the jar so you don't forget after it's all put together and have to pull everything apart... don't ask me how I know this.

Place the jar lid on top of the felt and trace its perimeter with the fabric marker. Set aside your circle after cutting it out.




The next step is to take fabric measurements. There are several ways to accomplish this.

  • Place the jar lid on the fabric and make it at least an inch wider all the way around.
  • Using a protractor, draw a circle at least an inch wider than the lid.
  • or use a large bowl from the kitchen (as I did) and draw a circle around it with the fabric marker.
The more stuffing you stuff into the fabric, the more fabric you'll need. If you want a more poofy pin cushion, make your fabric circle a little wider, say an inch and a half wider than the lid.




Next, using the embroidery thread and needle, hand stitch about half a centimeter from the fabric's edge all the way around, gathering it up as you go. I use embroidery thread instead of cotton for this because it is stronger. If you're a jerk like me, you'll want to make sure it doesn't fall apart later. You're essentially constructing a small basket to hold the stuffing.




Insert your stuffing now.




And then your jar lid, making sure to insert it as shown.




Pull the embroidery thread taut and sew a few stitches to hold it in place.




The final step is to use a small amount of hot glue to secure the felt backing you cut out earlier onto the back to not only hide the stitches, but also to prevent the fabric from fraying.




Insert it firmly into the jar ring, then fill your jar with pins and close the lid. Because you have all that extra stuff' inside the lid now, you may need to press down firmly on it to secure it.











READ ARTICLES:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give Mom the Gift of Creativity This Year

How to Make Leather Tassel Earrings at Home